Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Kindergarten Boogie Woogie


Kindergarten studied "Broadway Boogie Woogie" by Piet Mondrian. We first discussed the basics: line, shape, and color. We then tried to "de-code" what the artist was trying to show the viewer.

Some of the best answers:

"Is this supposed to be a weird kind of Minecraft?"
"Is that where Pac Man lives?"
"I have no idea Ms. Ripa, this guy must have been really bored and had only a few crayons"

Then I showed them this fantastic YouTube video.


I could literally see the lightbulbs in their heads turn on... Which was exactly what I wanted to happen! Gotta love when lessons turn out PERFECT (especially when your being formally observed like I was)

We then discussed New York City and how this was a "map" seen from birds eye view. Lines were roads and squares were cars or buildings. We then watched this animated short film. Three weeks later they still ask to watch it!


I precut a lot of strips of primary colored paper, but students were allowed to alter them if they wanted to (make them shorter, narrower, etc).

First we made the roads... (they had the option for a black or white background)


Then we used the leftover strips to make cars, roads, and some even figured out how to make bridges. My kinders are so stinkin' smart.




This project is always a big hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment